PERSHORE BOWLING CLUB
(Founded 1928) - Tel: 01386 561028
Green: Abbey Park, Pershore.
Location of Bowls Club: Find Me
Website: Website
 

 

Pershore Bowling Club
   
Approved Coloured Shirt: White Polo shirt with green trim.
Club smoking policy: Non smoking on the Green
Email Contact: [email protected]

President:

 

Email:

Malcolm Currin

 

[email protected]

Tel:

Mob:

01368 550453

 

Clu & Mens'sCaptain:

Email:

Selwyn Brough

 s[email protected]

Tel:

Mob:

01386 556764

 07962 252283

Ladies Captain:

Email:

Carol Squires

[email protected]

Tel:

Mob:

01386 642967

 07738 874263

Mens Singles Champion: Jez Lewis Tel: 07713 858271

Ladies Singles Champion:

Email:

Julie Howell

[email protected]

Tel:

Mob:

01386 561580

07963 458499

Club Secretary: Alison Cartwright
2 Searle Close
Pershore 
WR10 3EY

Tel:

01386 552161

07967 123491

Email: [email protected]
Fixture Secretary:

Mike Peirce
50 Three Springs Road

Pershore

WR10 1HS

Tel:

Mob:

01386  553047

07501 306103

Email:

[email protected]

Mixed Friendly Manager

Selwyn Brough

 Tel:

01386 556764

07962 252283

Email:

s[email protected]

 

 

Exec.Council Members Alison Cartwright [email protected]
  Julie Howell [email protected]
       
The Clubs History:      
       

The Club was formed in 1928 following an invitation by the then Lord Abbot of Pershore to tradesmen of the town to play bowls on the lawn at the monastery, long since demolished.   Because of its restricted size, it was only large enough to provide two rinks. At that time the green was mown with an old hand mower and rolled with a heavy horse drawn roller.  The Lord Abbot accepted the invitation to be the first President of the Club and continued to hold the office until the Monastery was closed in 1936 and the monks moved to Nashdon Abbey in Buckinghamshire. Following the departure of the monks the green was extended to four rinks. Because of its position within Monastery ground drinking facilities were nil so members would club together and take bottled beer on to the green or retire to a nearby hostelry, which, most conveniently always seemed to be kept by a member of the club.  At the same time as the formation of the Club (then known as The Abbey Bowling Club) another club was formed (at the Mission Hall in Head Street) by the Men’s Brotherhood, ultimately the two Clubs decided to amalgamate, and the Brotherhood Club was disbanded.  

During the Second World War little activity took place, members satisfying themselves with game amongst themselves when time allowed.   After the war the green was extended to six rinks, part of a Prisoner of War hut was acquired and erected as a pavilion on the site of the present clubhouse, mains water installed and a liquour licence obtained.  Member's wives rallied round, providing furnishings, making curtains and providing cutlery etc.  Weekly whist drives were held during winter months to raise much needed finance.  Membership grew and the fixture list extended.  Some of the ladies began to show interest in the game and in 1953 a Ladies Section was formed. 

The Club has provided 10 Presidents of the County Association in the names of:- Harold Boswell {1954}, Vernon Turner {1963}, Wilf Webster {1968}, George Massingham {1972}, Alex Colquhoun {1978} the Club’s Golden Jubilee Year, Wilma Day (2003), Ann Hutchings and Roy Briscoe {2007}, Derick Palfrey (2011) and Lesley Wood (2018).

 

The Club had achieved several successes in County Competitions and has had representatives at the National Championships. The Club had always strongly supported the County Association.

 

Updated 5th August 2021