Login
Clubs

Stourport Bowling Green Club

CLUB WEBSITE

Club Address

Lickhill Road, Stourport on Severn, Worcs, DY13 8SP

Phone Number

07843 900391

Club Personnel

Alan Guest President

T: 01299 877269 \ 07843 900391

E: [email protected]

Anne Hough Club Secretary

T: 01299 877506

E: [email protected]

Barbara Dexter Fixture Secretary

T: 01562 755369

E: [email protected]

A. Beddow Club Captain

T: 01299 823421

E: [email protected]

Club Bio

Stourport Bowling Green Club began life in 1853 as the Swan Quoits Club. Mr Gittens, the Swan Inn landlord was paid £3 per annum to keep the ground suitable for play and being fined one shilling for each occasion when it was not in a proper condition. The annual subscription was at five shillings per annum.
In 1870 a bowling green was added, and the Club called Stourport Quoit and Bowling Green Club. In 1880 the first groundsman was appointed, being paid £5 per annum, ground rent was £8 per annum. In 1885 the Club was renamed Stourport Bowling Green & Quoit Club and finally became known as Stourport Bowling Club in 1923, when quoits play ceased.
In 1952 Thomas Vale sold the ground and building to appointed trustees of the Club. In 1890 a President and Vice President were elected.
To celebrate the centenary in 1990 President Mr B. Matthews presented a crystal bowl, which he duly won, the runner up, Mr G. Piper received a pair of cut-glass tankards.
In 1904 the Presidents Cup was donated and contested for. For the 2004 centenary event, President Mr S. Barkas presented an engraved crystal vase to the winner Mr H. Lane and an engraved tankard to runner-up Mr P. Millward.
During 2003/4 works were carried out at the Club by a band of dedicated members to bring the green and surrounds up to competition standards to enable the Club to apply for and be accepted as affiliated to the County Association.
The Club applied for an E.B.A. celebration game in 2005 and were delighted to be accepted. By a fortuitous coincidence the President of the E.B.A. was John Tolley from Worcestershire. He is now a frequent visitor and favourite of the Club.
Since 2005 the Club has extended its facilities including a larger club room, changing rooms, office, and toilet for our physically challenged friends.
The bowling surface was replaced in 2008/9 and the club has had membership increases year on year since 2005.
We try to put on many events throughout the winter to keep the Club buoyant and short mat bowling is played weekly on three or more occasions.
In 2011 Bowls England visited under the leadership of President Joan Balding, Senior Vice President Stuart Lake and many dignitaries to play the annual fixture against the Welsh Bowling Association. The Club was delighted to have hosted this match.

BACK TO ALL CLUBS
CLUB INFORMATION
Year Founded1870
Approved Shirt ColourWhite Shirt, Dark Green Side Panels, With Gold Piping, Light Blue Sleeves, Royal Blue collar
BarYes
CateringYes