Login
Clubs

Pershore Bowling Club

CLUB WEBSITE

Club Address

Abbey Park, Pershore, WR10 1JP

Phone Number

01386 651028

Club Personnel

Alison Cartwright Club Secretary

A: 2 Searl Close, Pershore, WR10 3EY

T: 01386 552161 \ 07967 123491

E: [email protected]

Malcolm Currin President

T: 01386 550453

E: [email protected]

Selwyn Brough Club Captain \ Men's

T: 01386 556764 \ 07962 252283

E: [email protected]

Mike Peirce Fixture Secretary

A: 50 Three Springs Road, Pershore, WR10 1HS

T: 01386 553047 \ 07501 306103

E: [email protected]

Carol Sorrell Ladies' Captain

T: 01386 642967 \ 07738 874263

E: [email protected]

Mike Peirce Men's Champion 2021

T: 01386 553047 \ 07501 306103

E: [email protected]

Alison Cartwright Ladies' Champion 2021

T: 01386 552161 \ 07967 123491

E: [email protected]

Club Bio

The Club was formed in 1928 following an invitation by the then Lord Abbot of Pershore to tradesmen of the town to play bowls on the lawn at the monastery, long since demolished. Because of its restricted size, it was only large enough to provide two rinks. At that time the green was mown with an old hand mower and rolled with a heavy horse drawn roller. The Lord Abbot accepted the invitation to be the first President of the Club and continued to hold the office until the Monastery was closed in 1936 and the monks moved to Nashdon Abbey in Buckinghamshire. Following the departure of the monks the green was extended to four rinks. Because of its position within Monastery ground drinking facilities were nil so members would club together and take bottled beer on to the green or retire to a nearby hostelry, which, most conveniently always seemed to be kept by a member of the club. At the same time as the formation of the Club (then known as The Abbey Bowling Club) another club was formed (at the Mission Hall in Head Street) by the Men’s Brotherhood, ultimately the two Clubs decided to amalgamate, and the Brotherhood Club was disbanded.
During the Second World War little activity took place, members satisfying themselves with game amongst themselves when time allowed. After the war the green was extended to six rinks, part of a Prisoner of War hut was acquired and erected as a pavilion on the site of the present clubhouse, mains water installed and a liquour licence obtained. Member's wives rallied round, providing furnishings, making curtains and providing cutlery etc. Weekly whist drives were held during winter months to raise much needed finance. Membership grew and the fixture list extended. Some of the ladies began to show interest in the game and in 1953 a Ladies Section was formed.
The Club has provided 10 Presidents of the County Association in the names of:- Harold Boswell {1954}, Vernon Turner {1963}, Wilf Webster {1968}, George Massingham {1972}, Alex Colquhoun {1978} the Club’s Golden Jubilee Year, Wilma Day (2003), Ann Hutchings and Roy Briscoe {2007}, Derick Palfrey (2011) and Lesley Wood (2018).

The Club had achieved several successes in County Competitions and has had representatives at the National Championships. The Club had always strongly supported the County Association.

BACK TO ALL CLUBS
CLUB INFORMATION
Year Founded1928
Approved Shirt ColourNone
BarNo
CateringNo