Manor Park Bowling Club

Club Address

Albert Road North, Malvern, WR14 2TL

Phone Number

01684 574010

Club Personnel

Paul Buxton Club Secretary

A: 4 Rookery Road, Kempsey, WR5 3JP

T: 01905 520025

E: [email protected]

Roger Orgill President

T: 01684 560259

E: [email protected]

Julie Morgan Club Captain \ Men's

T: 01684 566593 \ 07715 407750

E: [email protected]

Alan Thompson Fixture Secretary

A: The Firs, Upper Wick Lane, Rushwick, WR2 5SN

T: 0195 422912 \ 07715 677393

E: [email protected]

Liz Mills Ladies' Captain

T: 01684 300049 \07875 870330

E: [email protected]

John Murphy Men's Champion 2021

T: 01684 301720

E: [email protected]

Julie Morgan Ladies' Champion 2021

T: 01684 566593 \ 07715 407750

E: [email protected]

Email Contact

E: [email protected]

Club Bio

The Manor Park Club had a bowling green mentioned in its archives dated 1907, but quite evidently of minimum dimensions, for the Archers, who were a strong force, objected strongly when they lost part of their shooting area for the green to be extended to its present size in 1912.
Two years later there were two clubs bowling out of Manor Park, one having to use the green jointly with the Croquet Club that was thriving. World War 1 had a dramatic effect on all the sports played at the club, but the Committee insisted that the wounded soldiers recuperating nearby, be allowed to sit and watch games being played.
In 1921 Lady Foley, the wealthy landowner of the district, made a gift of the 10-acre site into the hands of a Trust made up from prominent businessmen – and this situation will remain forever.
The Bowls Club had a mottled career in its membership and in the late twenties had to share its green with the Croquet Club that began to flourish again.
World War II naturally created a setback, although soon after, it seems a clubhouse came into being with one changing room 10 feet square. This remained the position, with minor improvements, until the members, under the direction of Fred Orme, raised it to the ground, replacing it with a second-hand school building with quite modern conveniences.
Over the years many members achieved successes, but none more than Alec Jackson who won the All-England Indoor Singles and became an international player. Bill Green was prominent in County Competitions and National Competitions and was also involved for many years in County matters serving on the GPC for many years, whilst Ian Reid was President of the County in 1988.

Year Founded1918
Approved Shirt ColourWhite Shirt, Red Collar, Red and Blue Button Front, Red Piping on end of Sleeves, Blue Stripe with Red Piping down the side, Cub Badge on Pocket.