The Club was formed in 1947, and known as South Littleton B.C., as a section of the Littleton Sports Club, the green being laid jointly by the Parish Council and the Sports Club with assistance from the Playing Fields Association. When the Club opened the Green was rectangular, only having five rinks. The ground for the sixth rink was given to the Club by Mr Wally Shammon who owns the land next door, and he was given the title of Honorary Life President, which he holds to this day.
The original Clubhouse was the little green painted shed in the bottom corner, then an army hut was used as a clubhouse. This was eventually adapted to house a permanently laid Indoor Rink when a “proper” clubhouse was built.
Towards the end of the Seventies an ex-RAF accommodation hut was purchased and erected, allowing a second Indoor Rink to be created giving us the enviable position of all year-round bowling. We now have a full programme of winter leagues and competitions involving, not only our own members, but also teams from clubs in Worcestershire, Gloucestershire, and Warwickshire. New teams are always welcome.
One rink is boarded over in the summer to allow it to be used for the outdoor game’s teas, and social events. Outdoors we participate in the ladies and men’s sections of the Concorde League, being past winners and runners up in both.
Our members have also honoured the club with success in County competitions. We also have two teams in the Vale triples league, both having considerable success, with one team being winners of the league for the last two years.
Littleton Bowls Club has a long history of playing host to touring clubs, some of which became annual fixtures as teams returned year after year. If any other bowling clubs would like to play regular fixtures, or a touring team would like to play against a very friendly club, then we would like to hear from you.