Login
Clubs

Aston Somerville Bowling Club

CLUB WEBSITE

Club Address

Broadway Road, Aston Somerville, Worcestershire, WR12 7JG

Club Personnel

Sylvia Hale Secretary

E: [email protected]

Dave Newman President

A: 36 York Road, Priors Park, Tewkesbury, GL20 5HU

T: 01684274048 \ 07482 350381

E: [email protected]

Robin Howard Fixture Secretary

A: 7 Campden Drive,Leedons Park, Broadway, WR12 7NU

T: 01386 853505 \ 07751 780697

E: [email protected]

Kin Bick Men's Champion 2021

Club Bio

ASTON SOMERVILLE BOWLING CLUB

Aston Somerville Bowling Club was formed in 1925 all men in the village being eligible. Subscriptions were set at 2/6d (25p) per year. Colonel Thin who owned the Hall allowed the Club to use his lawn. 4 pairs of bowls were bought at a cost of 29 shillings (£1.50) per pair. In 1926 two matches were arranged with Broadway. By 1935 matches were held with Tewkesbury, Bredon, Pershore (Brotherhood & Abbey) Blockley and Mickleton. In 1950 there was a change of “Ground” to the Old Rectory Lawn. In 1951 all the bowls and mats etc. were lost in a fire at the Rectory, generous donations were received from the Kemerton and Evesham Police clubs which enabled 4 pairs of bowls to be purchased. Evesham Police also donated bowls surplus to their requirements. In those days the keeper of the bowls would turn up with a sack full, tip them out on the green and the players had to sort out a matching pair.

The present green was built by the members in 1958. The Club became affiliated to the WBA in 1991. We are still a small rural village club and are well known for the variety of livestock surrounding our landlocked green.

In the last 2 decades the club has had a fairly steady membership, though always need newcomers.
Around 1996, Aston Somerville founded the Vale Mixed Triples league, a league of 10 member teams, that is still well regarded to this day.

In 2007 Aston Somerville raised funds to replace the old club house, a portakabin and shelter, with a new timber clubhouse. This was constructed in 2008 the club now had a smart and functional base, the project was almost exclusively carried out by club members and friends, and officially opened by Mr Daffern in July of 2008.

The following year new paths and walkways were constructed to the surrounds to the green.

In 2013 the club installed changing rooms to further enhance our facilities, this enabled the club to host games in whites. This was desirable in view of Ken Bick's term of office as county president in that year, it enabled the club to host the county finals, and county friendlies during the year.

This has, so I am told by a visiting player, raised the profile of the club immensely and put us firmly on the map.

In 2014 the club had a successful run in the Vernon Turner cup, reaching the final only to lose to Worcester BC. We also had a good run in the Bowls England competitions,Top Club and Double Rink playing 3 or 4 rounds in each competition and again loosing to Worcester BC in both events.

BACK TO ALL CLUBS
CLUB INFORMATION
Year Founded1925
Approved Shirt ColourWhite
BarNo
CateringNo