|EVESHAM BOWLING CLUB|
|Green:||Blind Lane, Albert Road, Evesham. WR11 4LE|
|Location of Bowls Club:||Find Me|
|Approved Coloured Shirt:||White Polo Top with shy blue collar and sleeves with navy blue piping|
|Club smoking policy:||No smoking on the green or any public areas such as pavillion and changing rooms|
|Chairman:||Nigel Gould||Tel:||01386 45959|
|Ladies Captain:||Maureen Harley||Tel:||01386 882326|
|Mens Singles Champion:||Jonathan Haines||Tel:||07528 623490|
|Ladies Singles Champion:||Gail Langton||Tel:||07375 911895|
|Club Secretary:||Jean Eldridge
|Fixture Secretary:||Eric Mitchell
23 St Lukes Close
Worcs. WR11 2ET
|Exec.Council Members||Nigel Gould|
|The Clubs History:|
Evesham Bowling Club was formed on 5th April 1907, the object of the Club when formed was:- “To play the ancient game of Bowls and to promote social intercourse and rational recreation”. The subscription was set at ten shillings and six pence per annum.
The original green was at Northwick Hotel, Waterside, and play continued there until 1993 when the Hotel wanted to turn the area into a Car Park. The Club was forced to look for a new home and following the building of a brand new green, moved to its current venue, as part of the Evesham Sports Club.
A natural disaster overtook the Club in 1998 when Evesham was flooded, the green was under 12 feet of water, all the Club records were also under water and a remarkable job was carried out on both the green and the records to get them back to usable condition.
The Club celebrated its centenary in 2007 with a match against the EBA President Peter Arnold in May 2007. However, only a few weeks later, during the summer floods of July 2007, the green was under 16 feet of water, but thanks to the support of other clubs in the area, particularly Barbourne (Worcester) for holding a fund raising gala, and Bredon and Broadway for the use of their greens, the Club was able to fulfil its fixtures and recover in time for the following season.
Prior to the move to its current home, the Club had its National and County successes. The Club provided County Champions in the singles in 1940, pairs in 1931, triples in 1947, 1951 and 1969, fours in 1934 and 1952 and won the Vernon Turner Trophy in 1954. In 1955, the triple of R.A. Fry, E. Perritt and G. Groves qualified for the National Championships at Mortlake and achieved the runner- up trophy in the National Triples. The Club also provided the County President in 1961 in Harry Dillworth.
Since being at the current green, there have been further successes at County level, both for the men and the ladies. In 1995 Joan Parry, Margaret Ellison and Pam Hadley won the WCWBA Ladies Triples, in 1997 Margaret Ellison and Pam Hadley won the WCWBA Ladies Pairs, in 2006 Mary Satterley and Ellie Upton won the WCWBA Ladies Over 60's pairs and in 1998 the Ladies Team won the WCWBA County Inter-Club Double Rink. The Club has also provided two WCWBA County Presidents; Rhona Roberts in 1996 and Doreen Bawn in 2008. In 2008, Stephen Hill, Gary Hunt and Nigel Gould were winners of the WBA Reg Russell Triples. In 2005, John Mansell and Brian Quarterman reached the finals of the EBA Over 55 pairs, after winning the Midlands Region. In 2014, Nigel Gould and Gary Hunt reached the finals of the Bowls England Senior Pairs. In 2017, the club were beaten finalists in the Vernon Turner Trophy.
In local competitions the Club has been successful in the Concorde, South Worcestershire Triples and Vale Mixed Triples Leagues and also won the Willersey Trophy in 2006. In the South Worcestershire Triples League, which has been running since 1981 the Club has won the title 16 times and is the only Club to have won it three years in succession. The Club currently has a mixed membership totalling approximately 60 and welcomes all ages and abilities.
Updated 2nd December 2018